“The strawberries are ready!”
This simple sentence expresses so much joy for all of us at Greensboro Montessori. We weed, water, and wait nearly all year until these gems glisten like rubies every spring. And every spring, we prepare some delicacy to mark the occasion, be it strawberry shortcake, strawberry salad and strawberry dressing, strawberry ice cream… or this year, strawberry lemonade!
We prepared this recipe in Primary classes on rainy spring days this April. Everyone LOVED it. It’s a keeper for our cooking curriculum and we hope it is for yours, too.
The Montessori Gardens
- 1 1/2 cups Strawberries, washed
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Lemon Juice (from about 5 lemons)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 3 cups Cold Water
- Puree strawberries with 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender until smooth.
- Force strawberry puree through a sieve to remove seeds (optional)
- Stir together the strawberry puree, remaining lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, and water in a large pitcher until sugar is dissolved.
- Taste! Add more sugar if desired. Serve over ice!
Note: Lemonade can be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
Recipe Credit: Epicurious.com <http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/strawberry-lemonade-201080>